FC3 full backup and restore options

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:54:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 14:25, Mike Pepe wrote:
> I don't want to reinstall. Here's what I was thinking of doing- if
> anyone has any comments or suggetions ("yes that works","I tried that
> and it didn't work", etc) I'd love to hear them.
>
> 1: Boot off rescue CD
> 2: change into the /mnt/sysimage directory to get to my root filesystem
> 3: tar the contents onto a physical tape and/or external USB disk
> 4: shut down, install hardware RAID card, power up, format RAID arrays
> 5: boot off rescue CD again, partition the RAID disks and create new
> filesystems, mount new structure under /mnt/sysimage
> 6: untar backup into new directory structure
> 7: boot off GRUB floppy, reinstall GRUB
> 8: hope machine boots after all this

Should work.  Don't take /proc in your tar backup. After you untar,
you should be able to 'chroot /mnt/sysimage', fix /etc/fstab to match
the new partition layout, either by adding labels to the filesystems
or changing the entries to use the partition device names.  Fix the
root= entry in the /boot/grub/grub.conf kernel line(s) if that
has changed, then you can run 'grub-install', exit twice and
remove the CD as you reboot.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com