exercise a hub

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 22 05:50:25 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> I have a hub I'd like to run some tests on.  For this purpose I've
> acquired two older desktops, I know that sounds backwards, but there
> you are.  I'm going to put a minimal, one-cd install on both desktops
> and connect them with the hub.  There won't be an internet connection,
> nor any other computers connected to the hub but the two old desktops.

I'd connect them using just the router first, and verify I can ping
back and forth. Then when you substitute the hub for the router,
if it fails, you won't wonder just what the problem is.

Or use a cross-over cable.

> Why exercise the hub you ask?  Great question.

Yes, indeed. Hubs are cheap these days. How much is your time
worth? Especially this is a 10 Mbps hub, not even a 100 Mbps.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.