Nut,usb and installation

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Sep 25 11:24:58 UTC 2005

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, david walcroft wrote:

> Thomas Taylor wrote:

>>> Ok, I'll set up with MODEL=genericups, but I'm not sure what USB uses
>>> for connections <socket> <port> and how to determine the same for a
>>> config file.

All the drivers listed as examples in /etc/sysconfig/ups are for devices
connected by serial cable.

If your UPS is connected via USB, use MODEL=hidups.  (If that doesn't
work, try MODEL=newhidups.  The only other USB-enabled driver is
energizerups, but that's brand specific.)  The DEVICE will be something
like /dev/hiddevX (where X is a digit.  The device will be created at
startup, so you should not need an entry is /etc/udev/rules.d.

On boot, I see:

   Sep 10 12:43:20 yankee kernel: hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [APC
   Back-UPS ES 650 FW:818.w1.D USB FW:w1] on usb-0000:00:04.2-2

The device created is:

   # ls -l /dev/hiddev0
   crw-rw----  1 root root 180, 96 Sep 17 12:52 /dev/hiddev0

My /etc/sysconfig/ups has