Graphic card problem on FC4

Mathias Gibbens m.gibbens at cg-online.net
Sun Sep 25 18:04:36 UTC 2005

Hi all,

  I am having a problem with a Linux box I am putting together.
During the install of FC4, when it probes for the monitor, video
card and mouse type, it produces this error:

Running anaconda, the Fedora Core System installer - please wait...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 827, in ?
  skipMouseProbe = skipmouseprobe)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rhpl/xserver.py", line 79,
in probeHW
  videohw = videocard.VideoCardInfo(skipDDCProbe=skipDDCProbe)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rhpl/videocard.py", line
512, in __init__
  if vc.getCardData().has_key("DRIVER"):
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rhpl/videocard.py", line
175, in getCardData
  return Video_cardDBLookup(self.cardData["NAME"])
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rhpl/videocard.py", line
34, in Video_cardsDBLookup
  card = Video_cardslist[thecard]
KeyError: 'S3 Trio3D\nS3 Trio64 3D'
install exited abnormally
[snip]

It is a built in video card, a S3 Trio3D with 2MB of memory, in an
IMB 300GL tower. I know that this card works with Red Hat Linux 9.

So, to install, I put in an old video card, and was able to
install in text mode. Then I took out that video card, and booted
using the built in one. Linux boots up fine, but there are no
graphics at all, even for the startup, except for the GRUB boot
menu.

Is this just something that I need to set in a configuration file
for X11 (right?) for it to work, or is it something deeper?

Thank you for your help,

-Mathias

There's More Than One Way To Do It
http://www.perl.org