Moving from 40 to 80 GB Laptop Drive - How?

Chris Ruprecht chris at ruprecht.org
Sun Sep 25 20:33:46 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I'm getting myself a new 80 GB drive for my laptop which currently has a 40 GB
drive. I have a USB 2.0 port as well as a FireWire card in the laptop, so I
have full access to both drives at the same time.
The current drive has the /boot, / and swap partition on it. The new drive
should also have all three partitions, just that the root (/) partition
should be larger than the current one, the other 2 partitions can stay the
same.
I do not want to re-install FC4 from scratch as I have the system nicely tunes
to do what I want, how I want it.

I'm thinking of dd-ing the current partitions from the existing drive to the
new drive.
I probably have to dd the boot and other sectors from the current drive to
make grub work.
Has anybody done thins before (I don't think this is such an uncommon
scenario) and wished to share some of the pitfalls?

Is there any tool like Partition Magic and Drive Image for NTFS partitions
that I could use for Linux partitions?

Best regards,
Chris
--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre