mounting floppy in read/write mode by user (mystery remains)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Sep 26 04:19:03 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 03:44 +0100, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got my floppy mounted but don't understand the
> mystery behind it. What I did was:
> 1) removed the link to floppy I created manually from
> desktop.
> 2) opened the KDE control center.
> 3) under the Desktop section > behavior tab > show
> devices icon, checked the unmounted floppy
> 4) KDE now created the floppy icon in my desktop
>
> at this point my fstab looks that this (as suggested
> previously): (NOTE: fstab is one line)
> -------------------------------
> /dev/fd0  /media/floppy  auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,user 0 0
> --------------------------------------
>
> Now I can mount the floppy by double cliking the icon
> or just give command
> $ mount /media/floppy (as normal user)
> both works

I don't understand the mystery either.  I use Gnome, and I have never
had a problem as a normal user since the floppy config became automatic
(the managed option in fstab).

As I said earlier, I have never seen the problem you reported.

> 5) Just to make sure it does work with the original
> fstab setting I changed back my fstab back to
> -----------------------------
> /dev/fd0  /media/floppy  auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> --------------------------------
> 6) reboot fedora
> It still works without problem.

This is normal behavior.

> Now, I am bit confused here. It seems like KDE does
> something behind. Does KDE use differnt ID or method
> to access the floppy?

No, AFAIK KDE and Gnome are very similar in accessing devices. The
hardware and OS is exactly the same regardless of which windows
environment you are using, so the lines in fstab will work the same in
both.

> Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.

Glad it is resolved.

Jeff