Fedora Core 4 Upgrade from Core 3 fails with Swap File Error

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Sep 26 23:01:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 18:38 -0400, Nigel J. Terry wrote:
> I have a good working Core3 system which I would like to upgrade to
> Core4. I am upgrading from a tested DVD.
>
> When I get to the upgrade check part, it offers to upgrade. There is
> only one Core 3 listed /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
>
> When I click next, I get the following message:
>
>     Error enabling swap device VolGroup00/LogVol01:
>     No such file or directory
>
>     The /etc/fstab on your upgrade partition does not reference a
> valid swap partition
>
>     Press OK to reboot your system.
>
> My /etc/fstab looks like:
>
> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1
> LABEL=/boot1            /boot                   ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
> 0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> 0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
> 0 0
> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults
> 0 0
> # /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /old_disk ext3 defaults 1 1
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,umask=0222                         0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/hdd                /media/cdrom            auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
>
> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong??
>
> Nigel

Have you removed the physical volume that used to
contain /dev/VolGroup00 ?

In the fstab you have the lines in which you have commented out the one
related to /old_disk but did not comment out the one related to swap on
the same volume group.

I would delete both lines related to VolGroup00 and try again. (The swap
partition in that line is the one being reported as an error.)

HTH
Jeff