SAMBA home directories and SELinux

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Sep 28 16:57:38 UTC 2005

Vitaliy Ivanov wrote:

>On Wednesday 28 September 2005 19:13, Stephen Walton wrote:
>

>>With SELinux enabled, both smbclient and users on Windows machines fail
>>to get access to home directories.  What magic chcon invocation do I need?
>>

>Solution 2 (might survive a reboot; I didn't actually try this one):
>
>[root]# setsebool -P samba_enable_home_dirs=1

This does survive a reboot as it puts samba_enable_home_dirs in
/etc/selinux/targeted/booleans.local.  Unfortunately I tried doing both
this and

setsebool -P smb_use_home_dirs=1

to no avail.

smbclient //machine/swalton

still throws a NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME error when I try to connect to
my home directory with SELinux set to "enforcing", and the error message
in the smb log file reads

'/home/swalton' does not exist or is not a directory, when connecting to
[swalton]