Wiring help?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Apr 4 19:03:29 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>

> Mikkel L. Ellertson:
>
>>It has to do with backward compatibility. Remember, the same jacks
>>are used for more then Ethernet.
>

> I've read about that, but I really do not think it's a sensible thing to
> mix phone and ethernet wires together in the one connector as a standard
> thing to do.

Really?  In the building I work in, all the jacks (4 per wall plate)
are RJ45.  Go to a patch panel and can be used for either phone of
computer.  If we go to ip-phones, then all the jacks are usable.  If
there is a need for 3 phones and one computer at that jack, it can be
done.

It makes life very easy for the IT/telcom people.  More options for
adds/moves/changes.  I move offices and they only have to change the
patch cables for both.

--
Robin Laing