Will you recommend fedora to a newcomer?

Alex F. Evonosky alex at alexevon.org
Sun Apr 16 15:08:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 09:23 -0500, Jimmy Montague wrote:

> That's so simply because, with home users, any distro is garbage if it
> can't detect and use Windoze hardware. Xandros fails for me because it
> can't use my ($240) label printer. FC5 fails for me because it can't
> detect my ($150) US Robotics voice-data-fax modem.

Every modem I had had been Serial based, none of the Windows
"Winmodems", all worked fine.

If you are using a "winmodem", its not FC5 fault that it could not
detect it, but rather the vendor will not release chip specs to anyone
other than M$.  There have been some reverse engineering work in the
realm, but if the vendor will not realase specs, then building a module
for it is kinda rough.  Using a Serial external modem will work with no
hitch.