CANNOT Get Remote X to Work -- Guru Needed

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Apr 18 19:35:56 UTC 2006

Bill Polhemus wrote:

> I have the client software on the Windows XP box configured as shown on
> LabF's tutorials page, but when it comes to editing the various (and
> sundry!) config files on my FC5 server, I'm not sure I have even found
> them all.

As far as I know, there's no reason to modify any files on FC5 if you
want to display its applications on a remote host.

The easiest configuration should be:
* configure your X server (WinAxe, in this case) "appropriately".  It
only really needs to accept connections from localhost
* Use PuTTY as your ssh client; enable X11 forwarding in its options
* Make sure that xauth is in your path on the FC5 host
* Check the value of $DISPLAY when you log in to FC5.  If everything's
set up properly, it will be something like "localhost:10.0".