What backup method(s) do you use?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Apr 20 10:24:33 UTC 2006

--On Wednesday, April 19, 2006 5:13 PM -0500 Arthur Pemberton
<pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

>> That's what I use for my office machine. The dump is to a Samba-mounted
>> Windows server.
>>

> I took a quick look at the docs on 'dump' it seems to say that it is
> for ext3 file systems no? If so, how do you dump to smb server on
> windows, more importantly, how does it keep the ACLs? I guess i need
> to readup further on dump.

I'm dumping an ext3 filesystem. The backup medium is a Samba share. So
you'd see the dump file on the Win2003 server's disk.

ext3 does have extended attributes where ACL's can be stored, so once
there's more support for ACL's in Linux, the infrastructure is there to
store them and back them up.

My backup script runs dump and then runs "restore -C" (compare) to verify
the dump. One caveat here is that dump sees the raw device while restore
sees only the mounted filesystems, so files that are hidden by mount points
(including the mount point itself) are not available to restore to check
against the dump. This can cause some spurious miscompare warnings.