FC-5. Cannot install in graphical or text modes

Teilhard Knight teilhk at softhome.net
Sat Apr 22 10:22:04 UTC 2006

> On 4/21/06, Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4/21/06, Teilhard Knight <teilhk at softhome.net> wrote:
>> > Hello:
>> >
>> > I am trying to install FC-5, but X won't start for graphical install. I
>> > then
>> > tried text install but I get a blue screen and installation also hangs.
>> > then disabled ACPI (linux acpi=off), and I cannot install either.
>> >
>> > I have three drivers where to install from and I always get the same
>> > result.
>> > Now, I have a Geoforce3 Nvidia card which, browsing here apparently
>> > gives
>> > problems with the kernel in FC-5. My monitor is a Sony Trinitron
>> > Multiscan
>> > G220.
>
> This is not the issue.  The nVidia-kernel issue can only affect the
> system post-installation if you try to install the binary nvidia
> driver.  There is an update that fixes this problem as well.
>
>> > Upon checking the installation disk, I got a "pass" (it's OK to install
>> > from
>> > this disk), and trying the disk in another computer, the installer
>> > works all
>> > right, up to the point of actual installation.
>> >
>> > Is there anything I could do to enable me to install?
>
> Some more information about your system would be helpful.  Apparently
> the Fedora installer doesn't play well with something in your system.
> That could be any number of things.

I have an Asus A7V333 motherboard (with RAID), an AMD Athlon 1400 MHz CPU,
512 Mb of RAM memory, one Maxtor 4G160J8 (160 Gb) and one Promise 1+0
Stripe/RAID0 (200 Gb) hard drives, and a Creative SB Live! 5.1 sound card. I
also have one Sony DVD+RW RW5120, one HP CD-Writer cd16e and one Pioneer
DVD-ROM DVD-116 optical drives. The two HD's are partitioned in several
partitions that hold WinXP, Mandriva, FreeBSD, Fedora and there are more
than one partitions just for data.

I hope these information will help you to get a more accurate idea of what
is going on.

Teilhard.