Emails Bouncing - Please Help!!

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Apr 24 19:47:54 UTC 2006

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> Hi! I am on a bunch of mailing-lists (this one, kde-linux, and
> suse-linux-e), and I have gotten a message from each about my messages
> bouncing and my account being suspended. I use thunderbird 1.5.0.2 on
> FC5. I have almost 40,000 emails from June '04 saved. Could I have some
> sort of virus? Does linux GET viruses? I really don't want to be
> permanently canned from the lists, so could anyone help? Thanks!

The list server software has noticed it has been unable to deliver a
bunch of mails to your mailbox.  To stop wasting time and bandwidth
trying to repeatedly deliver every message forever hopelessly again and
again, as a safety measure the list software disables your account
temporarily and tries to notify you.

Examine your mail logs to find out what happened, or if you simply had
extended downtime, just re-enable your account on each list.

-Andy