UDEV on FC5

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Apr 30 19:02:47 UTC 2006

    I loaded Fedora Core 5 and notice that udev is part of the bootup. I
think this is why in this new version, 2 applications called gMFSK and
XLog do not work now. They both require excess to /dev/ttyS0 and
/dev/dsp and udev is not giving these to it when the user is non-root.

    I have verified that both appear to work if started by root. But
they do not work if started by user 0500, me.
     If I am to remain on fedora core 5 these applications must work. I
have the old Fedora core 2 still on the computer and it runs just fine
there.

Karl