SElinux

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Apr 2 03:05:33 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 03:05 +0100, Leon wrote:
> Thank you Craig and Kam. However selinux will disable flash plugin for
> firefox, prevent mplayer from playing .mkv files, etc. All of these
> are quite essential for desktop users.
----
The point of security is to stop all non approved actions.

If you install the flash plugin and the flash plugin doesn't provide
security contexts for its use, then you will have to fix that issue...I
believe the answers to flash plugin problems with SELinux are asily
solvable.

I don't know anything about mplayer issues with SELinux but I would
assume that if a user posts the errors caused by using mplayer as you
suggest, he will find out that a fix is again a relatively simple
process.

If you wish to disable SELinux because you don't have the enthusiasm for
learning a technology that is incorporated as a layer of security for
your protection, you would not be the first or the last to do so, but
please recognize that what you are doing is depriving your system of a
layer of security because you have found means to justify not learning
how to live with it.

Some effort has been spent to educate and provide better tools for the
system user - you may wish to start here...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux

or of course, disable it, be done with it and just remember, the next
time you tell your friends that Linux is more secure than Windows...that
you have opted out of some of those security layers.

Craig