How to install LVM partition? --related

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 2 05:01:59 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 14:01 -0500, ron wrote:

> I have fc3 on /dev/sda. I just successfully installed fc5 on a new
> drive /dev/sdb, but on reboot th e new os does not show up on the grub
> choose and boot screen.

Simple answer:  If you manage to access the second drive, just copy the
part in its /boot/grub/grub.conf file for booting its fedora (the four
lines starting from the "title" one) into the first drives grub.conf
file.  The hardest part about that for a newcomer is how to access that
file.

> /boot/grub.conf:
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/sda
> default=1
> timeout=20
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> #hiddenmenu
> title Memtest86+ v1.65
> 	kernel /memtest86+-1.65
> title Fedora Core (2.6.11-11_FC3asl)
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-11_FC3asl ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> 	initrd /initrd-2.6.11-11_FC3asl.img

If you knew what kernel is on FC4, you could probably copy the above
"Fedora Core" stanza replacing the root(hd0,0) with root(hd1,0), vmlinuz
and initrd lines with the appropriately different kernel and initrd file
names, and VolGroup01 instead of VolGroup00.

title Fedora Core 5
	root (hd1,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz- {something} ro root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
	initrd /initrd- {something}

Replacing those {something} bits with the correct details for your FC5.

If you go into the GRUB console, you can try this out by hand, typing
one line after another (type in the root line, hit enter, then the next
one, and so on), and using tab completion.  (Read the grub info file, I
strongly recommend you do this.)

It's also possible to put an entry into your first drives grub.conf file
to just boot from the other drive.  You'd then go from GRUB on the first
drive over to GRUB on the second, seeing one menu after another.  You'd
do it something *like* the following, but it's been ages since I've done
this:

title Boot from the other drive
	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
	chainloader +1
	boot

Again, read the info file (the man file is truncated).

I read messages from the public lists.