IMAP (cyrus or ?) or POP (dovecot or ?)

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Apr 2 18:46:07 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 19:25 +0200, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> On 04/02/2006 07:18 PM, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > What do you use or recommend using for managing your
> > email server on Fedora, i.e. IMAP or POP?  At this
> > time , it seems there are only one of two choices,
> > available: Cyrus for IMAP or Dovecot for POP.
>
> Dovecot handles IMAP without problems. I use Dovecot, and IMAP, myself
> (have actually never used POP with Dovecot, I chose IMAP the first time
> I set it up.)
>
> My advice is that if you already have Dovecot up and running, just
> activate imap and continue using it.
>
> Lars
> --
> Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
> http://www.sm6rpz.se/

oh..  I guess dovecot is an IMAP capable server
so this is fine.  I guess I was trying to do some
message management issues that IMAP itself is not
capable of doing maybe.

What I was actually looking for in retrospect, was
that I wanted to setup rule based filtering so that
when a message arrives inbound, the rule-based filters
would route the messages to the proper in-house email
server and yet intermally to the email server in particular
to deliver the message to the proper user defined email
folders using the IMAP structure.

As I have it right now, I have exchange as my main central
email repository and I have to have at least one of my Outlook
email clients open (i.e. running) so that when it pop's messages
(IMAP or POP) from a remote email server, the user-defined rules
examines the message headers and moves the message(s) to the
user defined email folders for better management/organization
of thousands of messages received inbound.

Is there something like this available for Fedora (linux) so that
I can be weaned away from depending solely on Exchange?

Anyone care to comment?

Kind regards,
Dan