FC5 problems on K8N4-E mother board.

mperu no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Mon Apr 3 07:22:14 UTC 2006

Until now I was used to run Fedora core 4 on a PIII class computer without any major problem.
Recently I have built a new computer based on an ASUS K8N4-E mother board+Sempron 3100+ CPU (64 bits)+ASUS AX300SE-X graphics card.

I tried to install Fedora core 4 and first I got problems with a SATA disk (Fedora not able to detect it). I have installed a PATA drive instead of the SATA one and then I could install core 4 but since I experience problems with sound (which is no more available) and with my USB memory key (which is no more readable). I also tried to install ATI drivers and could not compile them, consequently I keep poorest graphics performances than with my old TNT2 graphics card and my PIII CPU (even with OpenGL programs)!

As soon as Fedore core 5 has been available I tried to install it and I have experienced the same kind of problems (no sound, no USB key, poor graphics performances). I tried to upgrade the kernel without getting better behaviour.

To check my hardware I have installed a Windows XP SP2 (sorry) and everything appears to run smoothly. I have also tried to install a Mandriva free distribution, sound and USB work, graphics performances are better.

Has someone else experienced the same kind of problems with this hardware configuration? If yes thank you to help me finding a solution, until now I have too much appreciated Fedora distribution to let it down.

Michel Peru

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=74415&topic_id=18404&forum=26#forumpost74415