USB hard drive

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Apr 3 17:21:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-31-03 at 19:11 +0000, Jim Douglas wrote:
> >From: "Anil Kumar Sharma" <xplusaks at gmail.com>
> >To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> >Subject: Re: USB hard drive
> >Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:26:30 +0530
> >
> >On 3/31/06, Jim Douglas <jdz99 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > No problem on Windows I copied file to the drive.
> > >

> >First, boot into windows (I hope U have Win2000 or XP)
> >Go into manage   (Right click 'My Computer') -> manage -> disk management
> >->
> >
> >check the  of partitons numbers and their format
> >(primary are 1-2-3-4.  extended are 5-6-7- - - - -  -)
>
> It doesn't show any partition numbers at all on windows.
>

> >Now in linux try
> ># sfdisk -l    << use this very very carefully, better read manpages
> >beforehand >>
>
> sfdisk -l /dev/sda says "No medium found"
>
> The only difference between this and my memory stick is that the USB HD is
> FAT32.  I was going to try reformatting to FAT with windows but the only
> option Windows gives me is NTFS .
>

> Could the reason Linux is not recognizing this device be because it is
> FAT32?

FAT32 is fine, but has a maximum size of 32GB, if you try to format
a partition larger that 32GB windows will only allow it to be formatted
as NTFS. I have a 2.5 inch 40GB USB2/Firewire pocket drive, I formated
it with one partition as big as FAT32 could make and made a second
partition with the rest of the space. I have all my music on the big
partition and use the second partition as a data shuttle. I have been
using it since FC1 and have used it on WinXP, Win98, Mac OS 9 and X,
using USB, USB2 and Firewire whichever is faster and available.

Happy hunting.