[OT] Sendmail's vacation

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Apr 3 18:48:59 UTC 2006

    I'm trying to figure out how to properly set up sendmail's vacation
program based on the way things are configured on our network.

    There are three machines in this game: a master MX that accept
inbound e-mail for our domains.  That MX will then push the messages
through to a spool server which then stores it.  The server containing
user accounts exports user data through NIS+ to the spool server, and
also NFS mounts /var/mail/ from the spool server.

    The problem now is that when a user sets up a vacation message, it
never works because mail doesn't ever actually get delivered to that
machine...only to the spool server.  But, the users don't have access to
the spool server, nor does it actually hold any physical folder
information for each user, so I wouldn't know how or where to set their
vacation to begin with.  Oh, and the same applies for anything else
related to it, like .forward for example.  Because mail doesn't
physically get delivered to the server containing the user's physical
account, anything they do won't work.

    Does anyone have any idea how I can solve this issue, without having
to reconfigure or redo the whole setup?  This is a live, very active,
setup, and I can't afford down time.

    Thanks.

--
H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6