Fedora 5 installation experience

Bill Polhemus bill at polhemus.cc
Mon Apr 3 20:15:37 UTC 2006

> The only way I have found to install additional applications is by
> manually
> running the rpm program and trying to guess which packages are needed.

I'm curious: Why have you chosen NOT to use Yum to install needed packages?

Believe me, I am NOT trivializing the problems you describe--I also
experienced a great deal of frustration upgrading from FC4 to FC5, and I
think that's a major thing.

But I was able finally to upgrade using Yum, which handles a lot of the
file dependencies for you. My solution was to use the DVD-ROM (I went
there back in the days of RH 8 and wouldn't think of going back to
shuffling all those CDs) as a repository under Yum. Shouldn't have had to
go there, but it did work.

So, why not Yum, in your case?