gam_server : 100% CPU again

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 20:53:52 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, Marcel Janssen <korgull at home.nl> wrote:
> How can I remove gam_server permanently from my system (seems to have lots of
> dependencies so just uninstalling isn't an option) ?

Aside from checking the version and reporting bugzilla notices,
you CAN do these things (no root permisssions needed):

1. Renice the process so it's a lower priority
    renice +2 -p <PID>

2. Temporarily STOP the process
      kill -STOP <PID>
   and later re-enable it with
      kill -CONT <PID>

Also note that the purpose of GAM is to detect changes to your filesystem
(so it can update the desktop icons, etc).  If you have another process that
is creating a lot of files, then you should have it use some subdirectory
someplace (and not your home directory), as that should not wake
gam_server up as much.

Check with the upstream site:  http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/
--
Deron Meranda