YUM CRASHES WILL BLOW AWAY CACHE DOWNLOADS. GUARANTEED!

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Apr 3 21:22:52 UTC 2006

Folks,

I FINALLY figured it out.  When I tried to install FC5-T3 for the first
time, I experienced a HORRENDOUS time trying to install and update the
packages because I could not for the life of me understand WHY Yum was
blowing away hours of downloads for files stored in the yum cache file
store area. Yet.. the SAME THING HAPPENS with FC5 final release.

If yum for any reason crashes - as it did MANY times via the Software
Add/Remove, yumex, or even at a yum command line in a terminal session
window - for some reason or another, ALL cache downloaded files
in /etc/cache/yum/packages are BLOWN AWAY.  This is the 8th time YUM has
PISSED ME OFF!

Now... I am reporting this to whomever that cares and I will not file a
bug report at this time.  Anyone who wants to do this can do this on my
behalf if they so wish.  As for me, I am going to get a beer and call it
a day.

Kind regards,
Dan