yum stopped working (fc4 & fc5)

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Mon Apr 3 21:33:58 UTC 2006

John Miller wrote:
> Mika Penttilä wrote:
>
>> I found yum stopped working after recently doing a biggish fc4
>> upgrade, for instance glibc got updated (no repositories found ;
>> Cannot find a valid baseurl). I upgraded then to fc5, with same
>> results for yum. I suspect it might be nameresolver/glibc related
>> issue...Any ideas?
>
> An update to glibc-2.3.6-3 broke yum here.  Reverting to
> glibc-2.3.5-10.3 fixed it.  Waiting to hear the ultimate fix.

I found the same problem here.  Yum would no longer update, even wget
and lynx wouldn't work for anything but the simplest URLs.  It seems
that I could download top-level files from sites but any URL with a
sub-folder in the path (such as
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml)
would fail.   Downgrading to glibc-2.3.5-10.3 fixed it.  Thanks for the tip.

HOWEVER, then upgrading (with yum) to FC5's glibc-2.4-4 broke it again.
   After some time ldd'ing and straceing (I now see why Yum is slower
than molasses in winter, with all the python libraries), I found that it
didn't like my nsswitch.conf file.

Changing it thusly:
< hosts:      files nisplus dns
 > hosts:      files dns

< protocols:  files nisplus
 > protocols:  files

< services:   files nisplus
 > services:   files

< netgroup:   files nisplus
 > netgroup:   nisplus

fixed it, and I'm now happily upgrading my FC4 box to FC5.

Greg