YUM CRASHES WILL BLOW AWAY CACHE DOWNLOADS. GUARANTEED!

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Apr 3 21:36:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 16:30 -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Dan Thurman wrote:
> >
> > Now... I am reporting this to whomever that cares and I will not file a
> > bug report at this time.  Anyone who wants to do this can do this on my
> > behalf if they so wish.  As for me, I am going to get a beer and call it
> > a day.
> >
> Without meaningful information, this is less than useless.  Sorry this
> happened to you but no one can really help without a real bug report (as
> opposed to a rant).
>
> Thomas

Yes, of course it is a rant.  When you get as many crashes and lost
time as I do, I think you would probably rant as well.  I ranted
7 times before and had nothing to show as a bug because it was
HIDDEN behind the piruit (Software Add/Remove) and no log files
were given.  The 8th time it happened to me, I was in a yum
terminal session and FINALLY got proof.  So here it is:

Downloading Packages:
(1/43): snort-2.4.4-3.fc5 100% |=========================| 941 kB
00:24
(2/43): koffice-kivio-1.5 100% |=========================| 1.3 MB
00:35
(3/43): graveman-0.3.12.4 100% |=========================| 702 kB
00:17
(4/43): koffice-kpresente 100% |=========================| 2.9 MB
01:16
(5/43): gwget-0.97-3.fc5. 100% |=========================| 216 kB
00:05
(6/43): jabberd-2.0-0.s11 100% |=========================| 561 kB
00:14
(7/43): qalculate-kde-0.9 100% |=========================| 1.1 MB
00:28
(8/43): dia-0.94-21.i386. 100% |=========================| 2.9 MB
01:14
(9/43): lyx-1.4.0-5.fc5.i 100% |=========================| 4.2 MB
01:50
(10/43): gparted-0.2.3-1. 100% |=========================| 424 kB
00:10
(11/43): azureus-2.4.0.3- 100% |=========================| 9.8 MB
04:13
(12/43): python-imaging-1 100% |=========================| 406 kB
00:10
(13/43): koffice-kexi-1.5 100% |=========================| 3.6 MB
01:37
(14/43): koffice-kplato-1 100% |=========================| 909 kB
00:22
(15/43): ircd-hybrid-7.2. 100% |=========================| 612 kB
00:15
(16/43): rssowl-1.2-13.fc 100% |=========================| 3.0 MB
01:18
(17/43): vnstat-1.4-7.fc5 100% |=========================|  38 kB
00:01
(18/43): qalculate-gtk-0. 100% |=========================| 1.3 MB
00:37
(19/43): koffice-suite-1. 100% |=========================| 4.3 kB
00:00
(20/43): mediawiki-math-1 100% |=========================| 131 kB
00:05
(21/43): brightside-1.4.0 100% |=========================| 118 kB
00:02
(22/43): libqalculate-0.9 100% |=========================| 875 kB
00:24
(23/43): wine-0.9.11-1.fc 100% |=========================| 9.7 MB
04:11
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 175, in main
    base.doTransaction()
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 660, in doTransaction
    problems = self.downloadPkgs(downloadpkgs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 663, in
downloadPkgs
    cache=repo.http_caching != 'none',
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/repos.py", line 626, in get
    http_headers=headers,
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/mirror.py", line
411, in urlgrab
    return self._mirror_try(func, url, kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/mirror.py", line
397, in _mirror_try
    return func_ref( *(fullurl,), **kwargs )
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
784, in urlgrab
    return self._retry(opts, retryfunc, url, filename)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
702, in _retry
    r = apply(func, (opts,) + args, {})
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
772, in retryfunc
    fo._do_grab()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py", line
1102, in _do_grab
    os.utime(self.filename, (modified_stamp, modified_stamp))
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'//var/cache/yum/extras/packages/wine-0.9.11-1.fc5.i386.rpm'

This is a crash.  Cannot prove that all my downloaded files were wiped
out though.

Dan