Laptop CPU Temp increase when idle - FC5

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Apr 3 22:35:29 UTC 2006

Chris Jones wrote:

>> Do you see any change in temps right after you go from a system that has
>> been idle for a long period and after 5 or 10 minutes of use?
>
> Well, depends what you mean by "use" - Do you have cpu speedstepping
> working ? For me the cpu temp is a strong function of how fast the cpu
> is. Idling, it sits at 600MHz and with that the temps stay low. If I
> read a few emails etc. for 5-10 mins, this does not really work the cpu
> so it stays at 600MHZ and the temps stay low.
> If I start really exercising the cpu, build a package etc., it goes up
> to its full 1500MHZ, and then the cpu warms up and gkrellm kicks in with
> the fans.
>
> I have not really paid that much attention to the temps, I will do and
> report back, but I cannot say I've noticed anything different to how it
> was with FC4.
>
> cheers Chris
>

>> Clifford

My temperature and speed is about the same as in FC4 and earlier
versions of FC. gkrellm itself causes the cpu to go into the maximum
speed when I opened it for a few minutes. Closing it down again let
things settle down again. Maybe gkrellm is the problem.

I have xscreensavers-base installed and do not see any speedup in cpu
utilization. I do not have gnome-screensaver installed either.

Jim

--
  18:34:36 up 6 days, 11:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.55, 0.52