Wiring help?

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 3 22:55:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 16:08 -0400, Henry Hartley wrote:
> Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> >>
> >> Getting back to the original statement. in-wall wiring in most
> >> places has to be plenum rated to meet building codes, in addition
> >> most of the time premisis wiring  is done with solid copper rather
> >> than stranded (which is more flexible and is used for jumpers.
>
> Plenum cable is required if the cable will be routed through plenum
> spaces of buildings.  This usually includes the spaces above drop
> ceilings or under raised floors.  It usually does not include walls.  If
> you plan to run wires from the walls up into the space above the drop
> ceiling, then yes, plenum cable will most likely be required.  If the
> wiring is restricted to the walls then non-plenum is usually sufficient.
> Check your local building codes to be sure.
>
> --
> Henry

Dan,

Plenum cable is generally more expensive than non-plenum, usually much
less flexible, and harder to terminate.  Your local building codes
usually govern where plenum is required and not required.

The wiring in my house is not plenum rated, and runs through the walls.
Local codes did not require it.  But, at work (US govt), if the cable
penetrates a wall from one room to another, or actually runs in a plenum
as described by Henry, a plenum rated cable is required.  It is my
understanding that plenum rated cable does not out-gas as much toxic
fumes in the event of a fire.

Some more food for thought.

As stated by other responders, stranded cable is much more flexible than
solid and is best suited between the computer and a faceplate.  Solid
cable sometimes has a mind of its own when trying to route.  Our
networking organization uses solid every where; between PC and
faceplates, and in the premise, including racks.  Patch cords found at
local computer stores, even walmart, are usually stranded.

Bob...