FireFox Flash player

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 00:43:07 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 19:41 -0300, Jacques B. wrote:
>
> > Turn off SELinux and it will install.
>
> There is no need to mess with SELinux to install Flash. Just use the
> Flash repository:
>
> http://macromedia.mplug.org/
>
> Messing with SELinux is likely to render your system insecure and more
> vulnerable to attacks.
>
> --
> Florin Andrei

Why does flash install with no issues via this means, but doesn't work
when via the Firefox prompt?

And if you set SELinux to permissive to install via Firefox, then
re-enable it, are you not back to being just as secure?  You simply
lowered the shield so to speak to allow a known friendly install then
put it back up.

I want to dedicate some time to learning SELinux.  Until then I'll be
asking potentially stupid or obvious (to some) questions.  But being
an end user of a dual boot system who's job is not a sysadmin (of any
system, Windows or Linux) with other technogical skills pertinent to
my job taking priority of my sporatic free time to devote to learning,
learning SELinux with any degree of depth will remain a distant goal
for now (hence why I suggested either in this thread or a previous one
that a gui would be beneficial, because I am not alone in wanting to
learn it but lacking in time due to other job related priorities).

Jacques B.