Wiring help?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 4 06:31:55 UTC 2006

Robin Laing wrote:

[snip]

> FWIW, if you are looking at patch cables, in most cases it is cheaper to
> buy them than the cost of materials and labour to make them.  In these

In my area, CAT5 prepared cable is about $1.00 USD per foot, while
unprepared cable is about $0.50 USD per foot. IOW, a 5 foot cable costs
about $6.00 USD. The crimping tool costs about $20 to $30 depending on
quality. The connectors themselves are quite cheap, even for reasonable
quality gold plated, like $0.10 USD each. Recently, I needed a 50 foot
cable (umm, 16 meters or so) and found that if I bought the unprepared
cable, for the same price, and the time cost of preparation, I got the
tools free. A 50 foot prepared cable was about $35.00 USD, while I
got the unprepared cable, crimping tool, and 5 eight pin and 10 four
pin RJE connectors for $38.00 USD.

So, if one needs one or two 5 foot cables, then the prepared cable
is cheaper. If one needs twenty 5 foot cables, then unprepared
cable is cheaper.

[snip]

One thing I've wondered: On what basis should one choose between
using EIA 568A and EIA 568B? Electrically, they are the same.
I've been out of the cable making "business" for several years,
so I don't know why there are two standards for this, anyway.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.