Can't open display:

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 09:42:31 UTC 2006

Gates, Robert L . wrote:
> Bob,
> You are on to something. My ps -ef does show that nolisten was passed to
> the command stream. Now, the question is, where do I go to modify this
> behavior?

/etc/gdm/custom.conf

#DisallowTCP=true

Uncomment and change to false.  Restart gdm.

Please bear in mind that opening up remote X isn't a great idea from a
security point of view.  Using X tunnelling though ssh is a much better
idea. (Simply do ssh -X user at hostname from your remote machine).

Simon.