Samba

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Apr 4 13:15:39 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 14:04 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> 2006/4/4, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>:
> > >
> > In both cases, it looks like an authentication problem.  SELinux or any
> > firewall in the system could be the problem, but I'm betting on samba
> > authentication.
> >
> > First of all, make sure that you have added yourself and your password to
> > smbpasswd.  Then, one or two comments about samba.conf
> >
> > > This is my samba.conf file.Any comment??
> > >
> > > # Samba config file created using SWAT
> > > # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
> > > # Date: 2005/03/22 08:49:21
> > >
> > > # Global parameters
> > > [global]
> > >       dns proxy = No
> > >       log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> > >       server string = PC Antonio
> > >       socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> > >       guest ok = Yes
> > >       os level = 255
> > >       null passwords = Yes
> > >       username map = /etc/samba/user.map
> > >       preferred master = no
> > >       max log size = 50
> > >       wins support = true
> > >
> > I don't see any workgroup= line, but since you say you can see the shares,
> > that's probably not the cause of the current problems.  The username map=
> > should be deleted unless you need to map names and passwords that don't match
> > the ones on your samba server.  You probably don't need the wins support line
> > either.  If in doubt, comment them out so that they are easily added back.
> >
> > Null passwords is not a good idea.  Use security = user in the global section,
> > which will prompt for user passwords.  Then add a line as below for the
> > public directory.
> >
> > > [homes]
> > >       comment = Home Directories
> > >       read only = No
> > >
> > > [printers]
> > >       comment = All Printers
> > >       path = /var/spool/samba
> > >       printable = Yes
> > >       browseable = No
> > >

> > > [Progetto]
> > >       path = /home/public
> > >       read only = No
> >         public = yes
> > >
> > HTH
> >
> > Anne
> >

> > --
> >

> Tnx Anne but it didn't work....
> This is the updated samba.conf file:
>

> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
> # Date: 2005/03/22 08:49:21
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> 	dns proxy = No
> 	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> 	server string = PC Antonio
> 	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> 	workgroup = workgroup
> 	guest ok = Yes
> 	os level = 255
> 	null passwords = Yes
> 	security = shares
> 	preferred master = no
> 	max log size = 50
>
> [homes]
> 	comment = Home Directories
> 	read only = No

> [...]
----
a lot of erroneous advice being given by a few people.

for the record, defaults are what you get when you don't specify
anything...

from smb.conf
Default: workgroup = WORKGROUP
The  default is security = user

also, please note that the option is
security = share
not shares

security = share means that there are no users, no home directories and
login is a password with access/file permissions as the user specified
by smb.conf and thus a user name logging in is pointless when using
'security = share'

The information is available in the man pages for smb.conf should either
the OP or the other people trying to help actually want to solve the
problem.

I don't know what the OP is actually trying to accomplish. Is it the
ability to access without passwords? security = share would probably be
ok but he should set a user and (map to guest = that user) and permit
guest (guest ok = yes) on each share. The section within the man page of
smb.conf 'security = share' completely describes this. Again note,
things like logon/home/profile shares are meaningless to a context of
'security = share'

SELinux issues can be a problem with samba - check /var/log/messages

Craig