Strange Gnome Problem in FC5

Ed Gurski ed at gurski.com
Tue Apr 4 13:19:37 UTC 2006

I have seen this problem before in FC4 and thought it was caused by a
SATA drive problem that was corrected. However, I now see it in FC5.

When running Firefox, with latest Java, mplayer and xmms, listening to
(in my case) XM radio, GNOME panels become unresponsive. Not only
unresponsive, but I desktop items disappear, and I cannot reset X. The
only way is to kill X and then sometimes, I get everything back.
Otherwise, it's a reboot.

My first incident occurred when I was running a Windows XP system under
VMware workstation and FC4. I would listen to XM radio and when I
switched back to a Linux window, I would loose my items on the GNOME
panel. At first I thought it was VMware, but I tried it under KDE
without any problems.

I like working with GNOME, so I am reluctant to switch.

I also ran into this other systems - AMD64 Intel P4 and a hyper-threaded
Pentium. My laptop also experienced the same problem.

Has anyone run into this? Any suggestions? Nothing appears in the
logs....
--
Ed Gurski <ed at gurski.com>