residual Promise tattooing confuses FC5

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 15:32:00 UTC 2006

Jack Howarth wrote:
>     Has anyone else run into this problem. We have a machine which
> had hardware Promise RAID in use with RedHat 9. When we installed
> Fedora Core 4 on the machine, since dmraid didn't recognize the
> Promise hardware RAID partitions, we disabled the Promise hardware
> RAID in the BIOS and installed FC4 with software RAID-1 partitions.
> The FC4 install CD recognizes these partitions without complaint.
> However the FC5 install CD complains that the partition map on the
> drives are corrupted. My guess is that dmraid is seeing some residual
> tattooing on the drives and not using the software RAID. Is there some
> way to disable dmraid on this system during the installation? I would
> rather not have to do a low level format just to eliminate the
> residual tattooing.

We had something related.  In our case it was a disk which used to be
part of an LVM volume, but which we later separated and put as a stand
alone disk.  It works fine in normal use but would mess up anaconda when
we tried to update it.  I did quite a bit of debugging when we moved
from FC3 > FC4 but never got round to bugzillaing it.  I'm going to do
the FC4 > FC5 move on it in the next few days and will write it up
properly this time if the problem persists.

Simon.