FC4: Please help: both RPM an YUM toast on FC4. Any ideas?

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Tue Apr 4 19:57:26 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I'm having a serious problem here, and I hope somebody can help.

On March 30, I upgraded to the latest version of RPM. That broke yum.
Nobody gave me answer on how to fix it, so I downloaded:

rpm-build-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm
rpm-devel-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm
rpm-libs-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm
rpm-python-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm
rpm-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm

and did a

rpm -ivh --force rpm*.rpm

Well, now all I get when I type rpm anything is:

%rpm --rebuilddb

rpmdb: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version
error: db4 error(-30974) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database
environment version mismatch
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30974)

OK. Yum and now RPM are useless. Now what?