Samba

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 21:13:46 UTC 2006

2006/4/4, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 21:38 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 April 2006 21:11, Craig White wrote:
>
> > > ----
> > > I thought I did in my first reply to this thread
> > >
> > > 1 - clarified 'security = share' as opposed to 'security = shares'
> > > 2 - referred to man page which described all the possible uses of user
> > > settings for login/permissions control for a 'security = share' setting.
> > >
> > Well, only they can say whether they thought that that message gave them the
> > information they need.  Personally, I feel that giving 'all the possible
> > uses' is less than helpful to someone coming fresh to a situation.  That, to
> > my mind, comes once you have the basics under control.  One of the problems
> > when you first start using samba is that there is just so much information,
> > that finding the right bits for what you need feels overwhelming.  I think it
> > is better to start with a minimalistic version with help from wherever you
> > can get it, then go and read all the rest so that you can tweak it.
> ----
> I sort of thought that the man pages are the right bits to start with -
> or that is what they are supposed to be. To paraphrase them with my
> understanding would possibly do a disservice - especially considering
> that some of the options might be exactly what the OP was looking for
> but couldn't articulate.
>
> I did ask for follow up information just in case the information in the
> man pages wasn't clear enough and even pointed out that when using
> 'security = share', shares such as homes/profile/netlogon were not
> relevant.
>
> I honestly don't know how I could have been more helpful in my first
> reply which was my time 6:15 AM and I am GMT -7:00
>
> but specifically...
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-April/msg00816.html
>
> Craig
>
> --

sorry for having started this thread...I find Samba not easy to set
up, and iptables is running.
Anyway, someone asked what I am trying to accomplish: I will explain
and I hope to be clear, even I am not english-mother-tongue.

In my opinion this is quite common especially in small offices/home networks.

I have a network where some computers use Linux, some WinXP
Professional, some Win Xp Home (It happens also some Mac)

>From Linux machines, I can see any share on Win machines.This step is very easy
Now I want that any logged user (i.e. John) may see his home folders
on others machines where he can log as John (both Linux and Windows)
and any user can see a common folder located on a particular machine.

Now I will go through documentation and see what I can find.Tnx for
help to anybody.
And as the day has been very long, I will revert to you tomorrow morning

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag