FC5 build of Firefox: long CPU spikes when opening pages

Mike Williams drummike at comcast.net
Tue Apr 4 21:44:32 UTC 2006

Colin Brace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After using for ten days or so the Fedora build of Firefox v1.5
> distributed with FC5, I've gone back to the "generic " linux version
> available on the mozilla site. The former had on my system the highly
> irritating habit of becoming effectively unresponsive for about twenty
> seconds or so every time it opened a new page. CPU usage went to 100%
> and it became impossible to scroll or switch to another tab. I finally
> downloaded and installed in /opt the standard linux version and it
> does not exhibit this behaviour. Anyone else seen this problem?
>
> --
>   Colin Brace
>   Amsterdam

There was a post a few days ago that sounds similar, here is the solution to
that problem:

Paul Howarth wrote:
>> Perhaps it's an IPV6 resolution issue. Try this:
>>
>> * Type about:config in the adressbar
>> * In the appearing searchbar, type ipv and set the first entry (ipv6 disable)
>> from false to true by double clicking it.

BTW - a handy means for searching the list archives with google, using the
following search would have led you to the earlier messages on this topic:
fedora-list FC5 firefox site:redhat.com

A message with "FireFox Wierd Behaviour" is where the above reply was found.

Mike