FC4: Please help: both RPM an YUM toast on FC4. Any ideas?

bill perkins perk at iag.net
Wed Apr 5 01:00:17 UTC 2006

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm having a serious problem here, and I hope somebody can help.
>
> On March 30, I upgraded to the latest version of RPM. That broke yum.
> Nobody gave me answer on how to fix it, so I downloaded:
>
> rpm-build-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm
> rpm-devel-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm
> rpm-libs-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm
> rpm-python-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm
> rpm-4.4.1-23.i386.rpm
>
> and did a
>
> rpm -ivh --force rpm*.rpm
>
> Well, now all I get when I type rpm anything is:
>
> %rpm --rebuilddb
>
> rpmdb: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version
> error: db4 error(-30974) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH:
> Database environment version mismatch
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30974)
>
> OK. Yum and now RPM are useless. Now what?

I'm no expert on RPM, but as a guess, there should be a way to do a
"from scratch" install of the rpm program; I would track that down and
keep it handy, then uninstall (one way or another) the rpm program from
your system. HTH.

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
 universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk at iag.net
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.