./configure command

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 5 05:06:13 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 16:42 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Ralf Corsepius wrote:

[snip]

>>>Then package them as RPMs or find ways to make installing them
>>>sufficiently safe not to corrupt your installation.
>>
>>Whom are you instructing to do this? The hapless OP? He wants
>>help finding a toolset, and instead of helping him find it,
>>you are telling him he should find an RPM which may or may
>>not exist.
>
> Wrong. I am telling him: He shall write an rpm.spec.
>

>> If a mistake is made in the RPM, or if
>>the RPM is built by someone with malicious tendencies,
>>then there is nothing about RPM which will protect.
>

> An rpm is the result of a complex process, called "packaging".
 >
> This is much more than "putting files into an archive" or a "./configure
> && make", much more ...

I know what an RPM is. Here you are, admonishing me that
an RPM is a "result of a complex process" which a "newbie"
(see where you used that term below) should learn before he
can install software that someone else produced on his machine.
By this logic, no one can install software on his own machine
until either he convinces the developer to engage in extra
packaging work (which you say is complex and much more than
creating a makefile), or he learns how to do it himself.

I'm afraid that we don't have enough in common even to argue.

[snip]

>>The guy needed to find the development toolset so he
>>could build something.
>
> No. The guy apparently is a newbie and is about to learn.
>
> I tell him he'd better build an rpm and not to run a plain
> "configure && make install".
>

>> In effect, you told him to go
>>back to the developer and insist that the developer
>>create an RPM.
>
> I am telling him: Learn to build an rpm, or stop now, you have reached
> the limits of your knowledge.
>

>>If I were building my own package for my own use, I
>>surely wouldn't put it into an RPM.
>
> Your fault - I can't prevent you from shooting yourself into the foot or
> other parts of your body.

As I said: you and I don't even have enough common ground to
argue. The stuff I build normally eventually winds up on
machines which don't even have an OS at all, let alone RPM,
and frequently have less than 1K of memory. And building a
cross-assembler or a cross-compiler which I want to run under
MSDOS, Linux, and Windows is not suitable for putting into an
RPM. I don't want to have to port RPM to MSDOS and maintain it
myself, thank you.

What a parochial attitude. Use my tools or eat **** and die.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.