Compile HOWTO

PFJ paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 08:58:33 UTC 2006

Hi,

> i am trying to compile a driver for my ethernet card ,all files are
> in /temp directory
> when i start:    /make  in the /temp directory   it says linux kernel
> source not
> found.stop. i think i should modify some conf. files but i don't
> remember which one?

First thing. Why are the drivers in /temp? You're not running your
system as root are you? If you are, you really shouldn't be. The idea of
root/su is for purely admin activities and never for just general use.

You need to install kernel-devel (yum -y install kernel-devel).

Next, get the driver and as a *non-root* user, dearchive and build. Once
built, su (enter root password) make install.

NEVER USE A SYSTEM AS ANYTHING OTHER THAN A USER!

I hope that is clear enough. I shall now return you to your scheduled
programming...

TTFN

Paul
Dr Who