NumLock key on by default

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Wed Apr 5 15:57:11 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian a écrit :
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:01 +0200, François Patte wrote:
>
>>Paul Smith a écrit :
>>
>>>Dear All
>>>
>>>What should I do to have the NumLock key on by default?
>>
>>install numlockx rpm
>>
>>then add this line:
>>
>>/usr/X11R6/bin/numlockx on
>>
>>in file /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
>>

> When I installed numlockx the binary /usr/bin/numlockx was installed.
> Nothing was put into /usr/X11R6/bin from it.
> I modified the addition to the Xsetup_0 accordingly and tried it but it
> did not work.
>
> I then removed the change fro Xsetup_0 and added the line to my
> ~/.bash_profile and it works perfectly for me.

This is a not so good solution: yes it works (I did it also) BUT I spent
sometimes to understand why when I logged in remotely with my laptop,
via ssh, to a machine where I had put this, the keyboard had a strange
behaviour....

> I don't know if the i386 package is any different but suspect it is not.
> I installed the x86_64 package and am using FC5.

I run FC4 with both i386 or x86_64 and it works on both.

Here is my /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0

#!/bin/sh
# Copyright (C) 1999 - 2004 Red Hat, Inc. All rights reserved. This
# copyrighted material is made available to anyone wishing to use, modify,
# copy, or redistribute it subject to the terms and conditions of the
# GNU General Public License version 2.
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

sysresources=/etc/X11/Xresources

# merge in defaults
if [ -f "$sysresources" ]; then
    xrdb -merge "$sysresources"
fi

#/usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot -solid "#222E45"

if [ -z "$RUNNING_UNDER_GDM" ] ; then
  /sbin/pidof -s kdm &> /dev/null && [ $? -eq 0 -a -x
/usr/bin/kdmdesktop ] && /usr/bin/kdmdesktop && sleep 1s

/usr/X11R6/bin/numlockx on

  # only set the background if the xsri program is installed
#  if [ -x /usr/bin/xsri -a -r /etc/X11/xsrirc ]; then
#      /usr/bin/xsri --redhat-login --set
#  fi
fi

--
François Patte