Samba: Could not get smbpasswd to work. Problem?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Apr 5 17:09:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 09:30 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 09:20 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Trying to get my Samba server running on FC5, but cannot seem
> > to be able to get shares working right.  I noticed that I had
> > no entries in the /etc/samba/smbpasswd file so I tried to add
> > my users via smbpasswd <user> and provided the passwords but
> > smbpasswd failed to complete.  Here is the results:
> >
> > [root at mysystem samba]# smbpasswd aUser
> > New SMB password:
> > Retype new SMB password:
> > Failed to find entry for user aUser.
> > Failed to modify password entry for user aUser
> >
> > I checked to make sure that this user had an account
> > in the /etc/password file and yes, they do so I am not
> > sure why smbpasswd is not accepting it.
> >
> > Anyone have problems with this?
> ----
> are you sure that samba would use /etc/samba/smbpasswd as backend?

Apparently, when I used the -a option, the user entries are
added to /etc/samba/smbpasswd.  I checked.  I now have my users
added but now the next step is to get samba configuration right
so that group-defined users have samba share access rights only.

I am now fiddling with the shares.  Trying to grant browser rights
only to members of the samba group I created.  But seems there is
only a binary value allowed for the browseable: Yes or No.

Any idea how to set a share as browseable but only for allowed users?

Thanks for responding!
Dan