Change behavior of DVD mounts

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 5 18:41:08 UTC 2006

Antonio Olivares:
>> If you mount it manually, then yes you can mount to
>> /media/cdrom, /media/cdrecorder.  There will be
>> several cd's/dvd's that will not automount by
>> themselves, and you might just have to mount them
>> manually.

J. K. Cliburn:
> Thanks for your insight.  I appreciate it.  Register my vote for the
> FC4 way of doing it.  Wine and its ilk need a fixed mount point.  The
> new method of mounting by volname forces me to manually create a
> doubly mounted volume in order to make Wine-based DVD tools work.

I rather wish it worked more like my old Amiga did:  Removable media
didn't need anything like mount points, nor manual mounting/unmounting
(the system handled that rather well).  CDs and floppies were noticed
when they were inserted, by the drives, which informed the OS about the
media change.  They didn't need unmounting, as changes were finalised
seconds after the write (allowing efficient write a chunk of stuff, not
write everything as its done, nor do nothing as you write until a manual
flush; which allowed you to remove media mere moments after YOU had
finished with it).  We could address drives by device names, which, for
example, makes it easy to CD over to the CD-ROM with the same commands
no matter what CD was in the drive.  We could address volumes by volume
name, making it easy to refer to a particular volume no matter what
drive it was in (or not in, if be the case; you'd be asked to insert the
desired volume in any drive, and it'd automatically handle it once
available).

I'd have none of the usual Linux malarkey involved with plugging in a
USB drive (or similar) and having to find where it was mounted, and
determine which "usbdisk" was the flash drive, which was the hard drive
in a box, and which was the digital still camera.  Didn't like the name
of a particular volume?  Simple, rename it.

It's a shame there's no-one who seems to be able to port that method of
working over to Linux.  We ought to be able to easily just insert and
remove CD-ROMs and floppies at will.  We ought to be able to do
something similar with other removeable media.

I read messages from the public lists.