Error automounting partitioned USB flash drive

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 19:15:47 UTC 2006

When I connect a USB flash drive that is partitioned (2 partitions -
first one FAT32 and labeled as such, second one Linux swap), FC5 tries
to automount the device /dev/sda.  It comes back with an error saying
only root can mount it.  My question is two part.  First why would it
try to mount /dev/sda, and not /dev/sda1?  It does create the proper
folder under /media bearing the label name of the thumb drive, but as
noted tries to mount /dev/sda.  The second part is how can I have it
so an ordinary user can mount it?  Used to be in /etc/fstab.  I seem
to recall a posting about udev but I'm not familiar with that.  I'm
not at the office so I can't provide dmesg output at this time.  But I
will tomorrow if same is needed to figure out my problem.

Thanks,

Jacques B.