2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 kernel panic (nv raid0, 86_64 architecture)

Debbie Deutsch fedoralist at ddeutsch.org
Thu Apr 6 00:15:45 UTC 2006

Terry Kemp wrote:

> I had a similar problem with existing software raid partions on FC5
> (dual boot FC4) install on SATA drives.
>
> The default kernel seems to have had the raid fault, wouldn't recognize
> the existing raid and creates a duplicate / LABEL. New kernels seem to
> be fixed and end up trying to boot into a 'different' / partition,
> so...
> By changing /etc/fstab /=LABEL=/ (or whatever it was) to /dev/sda2 (or
> whatever suits) my problem was resolved.
>
> HTH

Thanks for trying to help.  I'm not sure I understand.  I never got RAID
to work under FC4.  (My familiarity with all the tools and steps
involved was slim-to-nonexistant, and I simply did not have the time to
experiment with various explanations I saw on the 'net about how to get
FC4 to boot from an nVidia-based RAID array.)  My system has only one
installation on it; it is FC5.  The kernel that works is the one that
shipped with FC5.  I installed it with no problems, and it boots just
fine.  The new kernel (2.6.16-1.2080_FC5) fails to boot because it can't
recognize the raid 0 array that was created as part of the original FC5
install.  Are you saying that the kernel that shipped with FC5 is broken
(has the raid fault) and the new one, which cannot read my RAID 0 array,
is okay?

In any case, here is what my /etc/fstab file says.  (Note that I have
adjusted the white spaces to help with readability.)

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /              ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot              /boot          ext3    defaults        1 2
devpts                   /dev/pts       devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                    /dev/shm       tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /home          ext3    defaults        1 2
proc                     /proc          proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol03 /shared        ext3    defaults        1 2
sysfs                    /sys           sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap           swap    defaults        0 0

I am no expert in file system surgery.  Are you suggesting that I need
to change LABEL=/boot to something else?  (Yeah, I know enough to
understand what your reference to sda2 is about, but no, I am not
experienced or comfortable enough to be able to say off the top of my
head if that is the right device or if it should be sda1 instead. )

FWIW, like you, I have SATA drives in that RAID array.  Sorry I forgot
to mention that.

Thanks very much for your assistance,

Debbie

P.S. This system is mostly used as a file server.  The /home is just
what you would expect it to be; the /shared partition is primarily for
back ups and file sharing among the Windows machines on my network.