my smtp server is very slow to accept connections today

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Thu Apr 6 00:32:08 UTC 2006

Damon Lambooy wrote:
> Check iptables, if turned on then stop it  and test if problem fixed
then I would guess at "Ident port 113"  add it to iptables. then  start
iptables , check again.
> There normally  is latency when port 113 is being blocked.

I stopped iptables and tried it again.... no change.

Something I did notice though in examining my router firewall logs....

My firewall is blocking a lot of traffic from my ISP DNS server...
specifically udp traffic from port 1078.

According to http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers udp port 1078
is Avocent Proxy Protocol.

What the ?? Shouldn't DNS replies be coming back to me from port 53
(domain)?

I wonder if my ISP reconfigured something recently that's causing me
grief... wouldn't be the first time.

Aye chihuahua!! :-)

Don