glxgears fc5

Motor motor1024 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 6 12:50:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:05:08 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:58:13AM +0100, Motor wrote:
>> The desktop is noticeably more sluggish in FC5.
>
> Is anyone running AIGLX? Does it make your desktop speedier?
>
> Anyone knows when it's due for x86_64?

I was going to mention that... I tried AIGLX by following the instructions
given by RH for trying it on FC5 (add the yum rep, add the Option
"Composite" to xorg.conf etc etc). I didn't solve the sluggish problem.

It did have a number of interesting effects though. Before I told metacity
to work as a compositing manager (gconf-editor
/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager) -- the edges of the title bar
in nedit (a motif app) turned green for some reason. XMMS wouldn't run
with double-sized skins (crashed out with a gdk error).

With metacity set to run as a composition manager, the window manager just
crashed out and complained about a missing OpenGL call (which I don't
think has been implemented in the matrox driver, so that's
understandable).