FC5 Totem and DVD

Michael Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Apr 6 13:17:12 UTC 2006

On Thursday, April 06, 2006, at 06:11AM, antonio montagnani <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com> wrote:

>When I use Totem and I want to play a DVD a get the message that it is
>impossible to reproduce this kind of file as an appropriate plugin is
>missing.
>
>What am I missing (and why it is not loaded as standard, playing a DVD
>seems to me a standard operation also for a non-geek-user??)

To play a DVD with totem - you need

gstreamer-plugins-ugly

use the rpm.livna.org repository or gstreamer.org repository.
You also need libdvdcss

It still won't play them from the menu though. Try:

totem DVD://

That works for me - though the video/audio is choppy and not in sync.

Back in FC3 - totem w/ gstreamer worked decently - but due to changes in gstreamer and totem, it is kind of broken right now.

You can use ogle (I think it is in livna) or mplayer.