FC5 Totem and DVD

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Apr 6 13:39:24 UTC 2006

antonio montagnani wrote:
> 2006/4/6, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>:
>> antonio montagnani wrote:
>>> When I use Totem and I want to play a DVD a get the message that it is
>>> impossible to reproduce this kind of file as an appropriate plugin is
>>> missing.
>>>
>>> What am I missing (and why it is not loaded as standard, playing a DVD
>>> seems to me a standard operation also for a non-geek-user??)
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems
>>
>> See "DVD Playback"
>>
>> Paul.
>>
>> --
>>
> Paul,
>
> this issue is not clear to me.
> Do you mean that I cannot play a DVD that I bought this morning at the
> newsstand??

I mean that Fedora cannot include DVD decryption software (necessary for
playback) in official repositories because it would be illegal in the US.

You can, however, get the necessary plugins from the livna repository
(as Michael said), which is not based in the US and is thus not subject
to US laws.

Paul.