Questions about the new mount system: "gnome-mount"?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 6 15:38:02 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>
>>>Unless you're in the habit of removing the floppy disk drive from your
>>>PC, you may as well remove the kudzu option.
>

> Mike McCarty:
>
>>I put that in when I first installed the drive, and wanted it
>>detected. Due to inertia, I haven't taken that part back out.
>

> Interesting...  Are you sure you had to put that in?  Normally kudzu
> will find hardware, and write the line in (the whole thing), itself.
> It's the converse of what you did.

Actually, I think you're right. I think kudzu wrote it. Anyway,
inertia being what it is, it'll probably remain there :-)

> Putting in kudzu doesn't make kudzu discover the floppy, but the kudzu
> option marks that fstab line as something being managed by kudzu, and
> may be removed by kudzu automatically.
>
> I had to take out kudzu lines for my CD-ROM and burner, as they were
> being mounted as cdrom and cdrom1, which gave me no clue as to which was
> which, and it wasn't always the same drive for cdrom1, each time,
> either.

I have had that problem with USB drives, as well, though not marked
with kudzu. The problem I've experienced is that with my USB
drive, it may wind up on /dev/sda1 or /dev/sde1 from boot to boot,
even though I use the same USB port. I put two entries into /etc/fstab,
and used whichever worked. I no longer have a USB drive, so it
doesn't matter (though, inertia being what it is, both entries
survive unscathed in my /etc/fstab :-)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.